COMBINATION METAL DETECTOR & CHECKWEIGHERS
Manufacturers need reliable, precise automated inspection systems that can continuously guarantee product quality, without restricting profitability or productivity. AccuPak’s range of cutting edge, high performance combination metal detectors and checkweigher systems deliver unmatched performance and outstanding inspection results, and will ensure that your quality assurance program cannot be compromised.
Our combination metal detectors and checkweighers automatically inspect every item to ensure they are free of contaminants and that they contain the exact weight listed on the packaging. Units with an incorrect weight are ejected into a separate container.
The machines are easy to use and customise, are controlled via the intuitive touch display, and can be linked together by software. Once integrated, they work as a highly efficient ‘set and forget’ automated system.
Our state-of-the-art combination metal detectors and checkweighers are ideal choice for a wide range of applications. With a hygienic, easy to wash down design, our machines are robust and reliable enough to satisfy the demands of the food processing industry and other industrial applications.
Features and benefits
Designed to optimize your plant’s speed, productivity and profitability, our combination metal detector and checkweighers offer:
- Space savings on your production line, given its compact all-in-one design
- Flexible, fully-customisable component design
- Either a single or dual-track system, to suit myriad applications
- Simple set-up: pre-tested and configured prior to commissioning
- Easy, elegant operation:
- User-friendly touch screen panel with graphical interface
- Fully-automated processes
- Tough, long-lasting, durable stainless steel construction that reduces downtime
- A balcony design and sloped surfaces that, together with C-shaped product area, enable thorough cleaning quickly and easily
- Scanners that meet the most stringent standards of hygiene
- Long-life camera technology
Our customers also benefit from the superior service and specialist skills provided by AccuPak’s team of experts. Whether you need general advice, or specific product support, AccuPak can deliver:
- Expert installation and optimisation of your equipment, tailored to you needs, for commissioning and start-up that is as stress-free as possible
- Initial calibration, exchange, and overhaul of calibrated parts, which helps to create the perfect modularity for your application
- Ongoing maintenance and optimisation to increase the lifespan of your equipment
- Repairs completed quickly with original parts to minimise downtime and prevent production line slowdown
- Regular calibration adjustments to help ensure you continue to meet your production demands
- In-depth employee training to help you improve efficiencies and enable your team to make equipment adjustments in-house
Combination metal detector and checkweighers systems can be configured as follows:
Combination Metal Detector and Checkweigher
A metal detector is placed upstream of the checkweigher. This metal detector can be of the same brand as the checkweigher, but this is not necessary, as long as it has an output for a reject signal. The metal detector either does not have its own reject station, or has its own reject system disconnected.
The two machine are only linked through one PFC (Potential Free Contact). This PFC only communicates the reject signal from the metal detector to the checkweigher. This signal needs to reach the checkweigher before the contaminated product reaches the checkweigher infeed light barrier.
Once the product is received through the light barrier and onto the checkweigher, the checkweigher registers the product into its shift register, but does NOT weigh this product (as it is contaminated and needs to be rejected out of the product stream) but WILL register this product in its statistics as a metal contaminated product for statistical analysis purposes.
Finally, the checkweigher will use the secondary (metal contaminated) reject station on the extended outfeed conveyor to reject the product into a locked reject bin for further analysis by the QA department.
In this configuration, the operator will need to operate both the MD and the CW when there is a product change-over.
- Checkweigher statistics include metal contamination events for complete QA auditing purposes
- Virtually any brand of metal detector can be coupled to our OCS brand of checkweigher due to its very basic connectivity
- The total length of this system is longer than the Combo system (described below) as there will need to be an infeed conveyor (usually the same length as the weighing conveyor) between the metal detector and the weighing conveyor
- The metal detector conveyor could be longer than required, if this is an existing machine with existing rejection station (now switched off)
- The operators need to learn 2 separate HMI’s as they will need to interface with them both on product change overs
- A product change-over will take marginally longer as two HMI’s will need to be interacted with.
Combo Metal Detector and Checkweigher
A metal detector is placed upstream of the checkweigher. This metal detector can only be of a handful of (European) brands in order to be able to communicate with the Wipotec OCS CW, as the bilateral communication between the two machines is very broad and complicated.
The metal detector is usually mounted on the common sub-frame of the checkweigher in this configuration and acts as the checkweigher infeed conveyor, feeding directly onto the WB. The metal detector does NOT have its own reject station
The two machines are linked through a complex bilaterally communicating protocol that allows data to be sent from one machine to the other and vice versa. The photocell detecting the approach of a product onto the machine is placed on the infeed side of the metal detector, so that the checkweigher ‘knows’ exactly where the product is from the moment the product comes onto the combo machine to the time it leaves or is rejected. This is part of a concept known as having ‘positive’ control over the product.
When the reject signal is received from the metal detector, the checkweigher will NOT weigh this product (as it is contaminated and needs to be rejected out of the product stream) and WILL register this product in its statistics as a metal contaminated product for statistical analysis purposes. The checkweigher will use the secondary (metal contaminated) reject station on the extended outfeed conveyor to reject the product into a locked reject bin for further analysis by the QA department.
In this configuration, the operator only needs to operate the checkweigher when there is a product change-over, as the metal detector settings can be programmed from the checkweigher, as well as the checkweigher sending the saved metal detection configuration settings to the metal detector every-time a product / article is changed in the checkweigher’s HMI.
- Shortest build / installation length
- Operator ease, only needing to interface with one HMI for a product changeover
- Checkweigher statistics include metal contamination events for complete QA auditing purposes.
- Shorter product changeover time
- Limited number of brands of metal detector can be coupled to our OCS brand of checkweigher due to the extensive interface connectivity protocol required
Combo X-ray and Checkweigher Systems
As above, but then for an X-ray machine instead of a metal detector.
Contact us today to discuss which combination is most suited to your application.